Update - Elizabeth's Surgery

New to the blog? Catch up on my daughter's journey by reading I did not sign up for this part!!, have i not commanded you?, I trust you so much, but..., You just don't understand!, and It's not about her, if you'd like.

We made the two-and-a-half-ish hour trek north early this morning to the regional children's hospital (CHaD - Children's Hospital at Dartmouth) [You may have seen this recent viral video - some of the staff members here have cared for E!]. We prayed last night that the weather would be okay, since it's been snowy and gross here [December. New England. What else could we reasonably expect?!]. Instead, the roads were still kind of slick when we hit the road at 6:45am. So instead of changing the weather, God had us follow the state salt & sand truck - for 13 miles - over the mountain and almost into Keene. (Thanks, Lord).

The staff at CHaD is phenomenal, and we are grateful for each one that has cared for Elizabeth (and us!). They treated Elizabeth with respect and great kindness. The anesthesiologists & the surgeon were baffled by her calmness, and how eagerly she cooperated - and how sweet she was right upon waking up from the anesthesia. It is a direct answer to my prayers, though: that the peace of Jesus just rest upon her and fill her heart, so that she knows in Whose hands she is the whole time. She trusts God inherently in ways that astound me.

Elizabeth decorating her anesthesia mask
with princess stickers :)
The surgery itself started much later than we thought due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, but Elizabeth was only in surgery for about 25 minutes - if that. Only enough time for Will and I to go in search of my favorite coffee spot in the food court and then walk back with 20oz of hazelnut coffee liquid energy (I was running on about 3 1/2 hours of sleep). She came to right away, smiling and trying to chat up a foggy-minded storm (so cute!). After a couple of minutes, she was mostly back to normal and the doctor came by to check on her. She thanked him and the nurse for helping her (and thanked another nurse for choosing the right and coolest band-aid for her IV spot) and wished the doctor a Merry Christmas - and the nurse brought her a cherry popsicle.

Out of surgery, in recovery - my little trooper,
holding tight to Daddy's hand!

The prize :)
Once the nurse was pleased with her vitals, we got to load Elizabeth up in a wheelchair and head home!

Leaving CHaD!
And the prescription now is Don't Do Much For The Next Couple Of Days. That means a rare 'movie day' and quite a few special treats while she heals up. She even got to rest in Mommy's chair (a big deal around here!).

Elizabeth sitting in Mommy's chair! :)
I don't even know where to begin with how grateful I feel right now. I know that many dear ones were praying for us and I saw God answering prayer in the biggest and tiniest details!! So let me share this, the verse on my mind:

It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;
to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning,
and Your faithfulness every night,
on an instrument of ten strings,
on the lute,
and on the harp,
with harmonious sound.
For You, Lord, have made me glad through Your work;
I will triumph in the works of Your hands.
{Psalm 92:1-4}

What next? Keep irrigating her system every morning. Sometime in the next 6+ months we will likely return to CHaD for tests to see if the nerves in her colon are dead or not. No matter what the journey holds or the long-term outcome, I want the might and majesty and mercy of Jesus to be the first and only thing people notice!!

Thankful for modern medicine,
for His glory!

I may be sharing this post at these Link-up Parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment