10.14.2011

Teaching: part 1

I first decided I wanted to be a teacher when I was in the 4th grade. Mrs. Zecha was my teacher, and I have fond memories of her and that year of school. In middle school, it was Mrs. Thibodeau & Mr. Emerson that caused me to think more seriously about teaching as a job. Then in high school, Ms. Witty, Mme. Howard, and Ms. Hart -whether they knew it or not- encouraged and inspired me to attend college to pursue a teaching career.

In 2004, I graduated from Keene State College with a degree in mathematics and certification to teach middle & high school math and got an amazing job right away teaching 7th grade in Windham, NH. I had a two-year "career", and I loved the students and my team. And then, our sweet Elizabeth made her grand entrance, and I gave up teaching as a career...

...or had I?

I've been asked on multiple occasions whether I felt like I was throwing my education away by staying home with my children. No. No!! I have not wasted my education - I have redefined my teaching career. I teach my children now. And this year, Elizabeth & Abby started kindergarten at home. I am teaching reading, writing, math, science, and world history. and morals. and responsibility. and self-discipline. and how to make peace. and life skills. and basic culinary arts. and contentment. and so on. I am also actively teaching Hannah how not to eat EVERYTHING off of the floor and how to sleep through the night - also important life skills!

Another age group that the Lord has given me a desire to teach is the young ladies - middle school through early twenties. As I have learned more about Jesus and grown exponentially in my love for His Word, He has shown me that it is a responsibility to the up and coming generations that the older women be willing to teach the Word to them. Not always in a class setting, but by lifestyle, priorities, counsel, and actions. And with each passing year, I am increasingly passionate about seeing the young generation of ladies be challenged to follow Jesus completely, without being tainted by the world around them.

I have the privilege to teach once in a while at Beautiful You - the teen women's club at our church. Club started up for the year a couple of weeks ago, and I was led by the Lord to teach about God's standard for beauty. His Word is His standard. Jesus is our example for beauty. And as women, there are a couple places in the Bible where God clearly lays out what He considers a beautiful woman to be and do. Proverbs 31 is a great start (check out my entry Her Worth is Far Above Rubies! for more about her!). The other place is Titus 2:3-5. Here, the Lord describes what He expects of women in the church. Women who are older are supposed to live a life of teaching the younger ladies what it means to be a godly woman, so that God's Word will not be blasphemed!

So, I traded a career teaching 7th grade math (which is actually quite fun! And crazy! And...mostly crazy!) for a lifetime career of teaching women who are younger than I am what it means to follow Jesus wholeheartedly and refine their God-given standard of beauty in the process. It may not pay any material bills, but the eternal scope of what God is asking of me is astounding. Not because I am a great teacher but because Jesus prepared me to do this before I was ever created (see Ephesians 2)!! 

And if you are reading this, and you are a woman who belongs to Jesus, let me encourage you that you, too, are called to be a Titus 2 woman. The Lord will equip you with everything you need to teach the younger generations, if you will obey Him! Do your daughters need teaching? How about a lonely young mother? Or the college-aged ladies who don't yet know what God wants them to do with their lives? Reach out! Don't hoard the lessons God has taught you for yourself - share His Word and His Truth with those who are younger than you. [And, in return, be prepared to be taught by them, too]

Oh, Lord, may every single moment be spent pointing my husband, my daughters, and all of the young women in my life to Your holiness and beauty!!! Oh, that every breath would bring You the glory You deserve!

In His grace, and
for His glory!
Lisha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment