8.17.2009

It is better to have loved and lost...

The following is a re-post of a note that I wrote back in June. As always, God was working on my heart for what was to come. As you may know by now, Will & I lost our baby yesterday after 8 glorious weeks of pregnancy. We are taking time to grieve; even though we have never met Baby H we have loved him/her all the same since we knew God was forming him/her in my womb. However...well, just read the note. We have learned much from the children God has given us. We are embracing the storm. 

Functioning only by His mercy (and yes, Sheryl, what a sweet place to be!), 
Lisha 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 

My girls love to be outside. Love it. It doesn't matter what is going on; snowstorm, sunshine, downpour, etc (we haven't tested things like hurricanes, cyclones, or earthquakes, but I'm willing to bet they'd love it for a couple minutes until they got carried away!). 

We were outside playing in the rain today and as I was watching them, and playing with them, I was thinking about some of the more unpleasant times Will & I have had in the last 6 months or so. The "storms of life," if you will. How many times do we come into a storm in life (financial crisis, death of a loved one, etc) complaining and moaning about how bad things are, worrying about how much worse they'll get, crying "why me?" I'm not saying these emotions and doubts are bad, but we seem to psychologically prepare ourselves to be miserable for the long haul (at least, I do!). 

I watched my girls embrace the rainstorm. They didn't care about how cold and wet they were. They didn't worry about how they were going to have to change their clothes when we got inside. They just enjoyed the time in the storm, in the safe and comforting presence of Mom & Dad, feeling the rain soaking them, taking it all in with joy. And that's how God wants us to enter the storms that He allows us to go through...His Word tells us to count it all joy when we go through various trials (James 1:something). Embrace the storm with open arms. Look for what you have to learn from it. Know that God sends us these times to grow our character, and know that He is present to comfort us and keep us close! Just as He does not waste rainy days (He sends the rain to help the crops grow!), He does not waste our painful times - He sends them to help us grow, too. 

If you are going through various trials, be encouraged. Embrace the storm! And trust in the God who controls the storm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment