9.30.2012

Psalms!

I love the Psalms, and I want to share some of my favorite passages. The ones that resonate with my soul these days; the verses that grab my attention and speak to my heart "this is the God that you serve! And you can pour your anguish and loneliness and doubts and anxieties out at His throne - and you can sing about your joy and strength and confidence that you have in who He is!"

The whole Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of the Living God. Each and every single verse is there with a purpose, and no book or chapter or verse is unimportant, and I do still read through the letters, and the histories, and the prophets. But in this time of my life, I find that I just love spending time in the poetry and the expression of the Psalms more often than any other part. I love to pray through them and I love being able to identify with the Psalmists' hearts. It reminds me that the depth and intensity of my emotions, good or bad, can be expressed - and the Lord hears! And that regardless of my emotions or circumstances, God never, ever changes. Ever!

I hope these verses will encourage, instruct, and be a blessing to you tonight!

Resting in His Word,
for His glory!
~Lisha

********************

Come and hear, all you who fear God,
and I will declare what He has done for my soul!!
I cried to Him with my mouth,
and He was extolled with my tongue.
If I regard iniquity in my heart,
the Lord will not hear!
But certainly God has heard me;
He has attended to the voice of my prayer.
[66:16-19]


Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me!
Do not cast me away from Your presence,
and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me!!
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
and uphold me by Your generous Spirit!
Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
and sinners shall be converted to You!
[51:10-13]

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth;
keep watch over the door of my lips!
Do not incline my heart to any evil thing,
to practice wicked works
with men who work iniquity;
and do not let me eat of their delicacies!
[141:3-4]

The Lord is righteous in all His ways,
gracious in all His works.
The Lord is near to all who call upon Him,
to all who call upon Him in truth!
He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him;
He also will hear their cry and save them!
The Lord preserves all who love Him,
but all the wicked He will destroy.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord,
and all flesh shall bless His holy name
forever and ever!!
[145:17-21]

O God, You know my foolishness;
and my sins are not hidden from You!
Let not those who wait for You,
O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed because of me;
let not those who seek You be confounded because of me,
O God of Israel!
Because for Your sake I have borne reproach;
shame has covered my face.
[69:5-7]

Be my strong refuge,
to which I may resort continually;
You have given the commandment to save me,
for You are my rock and my fortress!
Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked,
out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man.
For You are my hope, O Lord GOD;
You are my trust from my youth.
By You I have been upheld from birth;
You are He who took me out of my mother’s womb.
My praise shall be continually of You!
I have become as a wonder to many,
but You are my strong refuge!
Let my mouth be filled with Your praise
and with Your glory all the day!!
[71:3-8]

How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
having sorrow in my heart daily?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and hear me, O Lord my God;
enlighten my eyes, Lest I sleep the sleep of death;
lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed against him”;
lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
But I have trusted in Your mercy;
my heart shall rejoice in Your salvation!
I will sing to the Lord,
because He has dealt bountifully with me!!
[13:1-6]

I will bless the Lord who has given me counsel;
my heart also instructs me in the night seasons.
I have set the Lord always before me;
because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices;
my flesh also will rest in hope!!
For You will not leave my soul in Sheol,
nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
You will show me the path of life;
in Your presence is fullness of joy;
at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore!!
[16:7-11]

Bless the Lord, O my soul;
and all that is within me, bless His holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all His benefits:
who forgives all your iniquities,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from destruction,
who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
who satisfies your mouth with good things,
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
The Lord executes righteousness
and justice for all who are oppressed.
He made known His ways to Moses,
His acts to the children of Israel.
The Lord is merciful and gracious,
slow to anger, and abounding in mercy!
He will not always strive with us,
nor will He keep His anger forever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,
nor punished us according to our iniquities!!
For as the heavens are high above the earth,
so great is His mercy toward those who fear Him;
as far as the east is from the west,
so far has He removed our transgressions from us!!
[103:1-12]

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
my God, in Him I will trust!!”
Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the perilous pestilence.
He shall cover you with His feathers,
and under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
nor of the arrow that flies by day,
nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.
[91:1-6]

I called on the Lord in distress;
the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.
The Lord is on my side;
I will not fear!
What can man do to me?
The Lord is for me among those who help me;
therefore I shall see my desire on those who hate me.
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes...
The Lord is my strength and song,
and He has become my salvation!
The voice of rejoicing and salvation
is in the tents of the righteous;
the right hand of the Lord does valiantly.
The right hand of the Lord is exalted;
the right hand of the Lord does valiantly.
I shall not die, but live,
and declare the works of the Lord!!!
[118:5-9,14-17]

...and just go read all of Psalm 119 here:
Bible Gateway - Psalm 119 (NKJV)

I will extol You, my God, O King;
and I will bless Your name forever and ever.
Every day I will bless You,
and I will praise Your name forever and ever!!
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;
and His greatness is unsearchable!
One generation shall praise Your works to another,
and shall declare Your mighty acts.
I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty,
and on Your wondrous works!
Men shall speak of the might of Your awesome acts,
and I will declare Your greatness!!
They shall utter the memory of Your great goodness,
and shall sing of Your righteousness.
[145:1-7]

No comments:

Post a Comment