9.25.2012

ElizabethandAbbyisms, part trois.

It's been about a year since I posted the last compilation of what we call "Abbyisms" around here. So, here are the ones from 9/2011 to 3/2012 (in chronological order!). If you're having a snack or sipping a soda/coffee/tea/water, put it down so that you don't spit all over your monitor. Seriously, I thank God daily that He has given my children a sense of humor and a great vocabulary.


My children lighten my heart,
for His glory!
~Lisha :)
~~~~~~~~~

Me: Abs? Abby, where are you?
A: I'm just staring in the mirror!
Me: Oh?
A: (contented grin): ...yeah. I look older today. :D

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth: Let's be superheroes!
Abby: YEAH!
Elizabeth: Put on your capes! We'll be...the DEDUCTABLES!!

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: I just love Hannah!
Elizabeth: Do you love me?
Abby: ... ... No. I just love only Hannah. Look at her! She's just so cute!
Me: Abby, you can love more than one person. I love Elizabeth and you and Hannah and Daddy...
Abby: You can, but I only love Hannah. [faces H] Hi, you little cutie! You're just too cute!

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth [twirling around the kitchen faster and faster]
Abby: uh, Elizabeth, what are you doing?
Elizabeth: I'm being a TORNADO!!! A...Hannah Tornado!!!! Whooooooooooaaaaa!!

...pretty sure Hannah doesn't need any encouragement to be a human tornado...

~~~~~~~~~

Abby [cuddling her stuffed animal like a baby and singing gently to it]: You know, I'll bet baby Jesus was a messy baby, because He was a boy. He probably made a mess when He ate - ESPECIALLY if he was trying to eat coconuts!

[coconuts?!]

~~~~~~~~~

Ok. I know this is #3, but seriously, the girls are on fire tonight...[um. not. literally.]

Elizabeth: Mom, what is moderation?
Abby: That's when you only watch TV like...1 hour a week or something. Not a lot of TV.
Elizabeth: Yeah, because the Bad Apple [from LarryBoy & the Bad Apple] sings "I'm not preaching moderation! What's my name? Temptation!"
Abby: Well...if she's a Bad Apple, who's letting her preach anyway?

~~~~~~~~~

We were doing some school pages with letter recognition, and one line had the letters C P O.

Abby: Uh, Mom, shouldn't that be C -3- P O? Like the droid on Star Wars?

~~~~~~~~~

[reading about dinosaurs today]
Me: Dinosaurs used to be alive, a long time ago.
Abby: Yeah. A LONG time ago. I'm pretty sure that's around the time you and daddy were in college together, right?

~~~~~~~~~

[learning about the way people lived a long time ago]
Me: What would you have liked the most about living a long time ago?
Elizabeth: I would have liked eating berries and peanuts. And meeting Cain and Abel.
Abby: I would have like to live a long time ago because I just like to light fires!!! Ahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

...oh, dear.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: "HEY! COME ON, LISHA!!"
Me: [looking flabbergasted] Excuse me, Abby?
Will: Oh, it's okay...they are playing. Elizabeth is being Lisha.
Elizabeth: Yeah.
Abby: *cute smile*

~~~~~~~~~

overheard tonight, while E was playing/cleaning up her toys:

It's gettin' crazy in here! Quick! Better put on your helmet! No, not that one...the other...the helmet of...salvation!

~~~~~~~~~

We were reading about different kinds of weather today. One of the questions on the discussion list was: "What causes floods?"

Abby's response (without hesitation): When God says so. Like with Noah.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom, when I'm eating breakfast this morning, it's like having "kicks" in the teeth!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

[They are eating Kix for breakfast...]

~~~~~~~~~

[Discussing how people are the same and different...]
Me: What is different about hair?
Abby: Mine is light brown, Hannah's is brown, Daddy's is dark brown...
Elizabeth: Mom's is GRAY.

...not yet, child!

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: How about a little bit of...OXIDATION?
Elizabeth: Yeah! We're up in space!
Abby: [putting milk cartons on her hands] I've got SPACE HANDS!!

you know. just a typical post-dinner evening at the Hunter home.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: You know, Mom, they should change the name of this shampoo. It shouldn't be "no more tangles"...it should be more like "hey! There are still some tangles left when you're done!"

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom, you can have the apples. Elizabeth, you get the strawberries. Hannah can have corn. I'll have the potatoes.
Elizabeth: What will Daddy have?
Abby: Bacon. He likes that better than vegetables!

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom, if I stand out in the sun for too long, my boogers get all melty. They run out of my nose.

~~~~~~~~~

One of our memory verses:
Quench not the Spirit! -1 Thessalonians 5:19

Abby's attempt:
Quench not the Spirit! -1 Ethalopians 5:19

~~~~~~~~~

overheard from the kitchen while the girls were playing in the living room:

Elizabeth: Abby, do you think Satan could ever be baptized?
Abby: Uh, with his bad heart attitude - I don't think so.
Elizabeth: Yeah. You're right.

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth: Abby, let's draw with stencils!
Abby: Ok! Can I use the yellow one?
Elizabeth: No, I want it first.
Abby: Well, then you're going to be LAST. Because people who want to be first will be LAST. And since you're making me last, I'll be first. Jesus says.
Elizabeth: **blank stare**

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth: Will you play with me, Abby?
Abby (in the sweetest tone she could muster): I've got a better idea! How about you leave me alone so I can rest and you just go play by yourself! That's a GREAT idea! I know you'll like it!

~~~~~~~~~

Also: Apparently, Will's been showing the girls a few basic "karate" moves. What they've absorbed from his teachings:

1) "Karate-ing" is jumping around like crazy all over the place with someone else, flailing your arms and legs as fast as you can.
2) You win by "punching the other person in the face the most times."
3) It's totally acceptable to jump around, slap each other in the face, and laugh hysterically while doing so.

I'm quite sure this is not what he *actually* taught them, but it's how they interpreted it, and now Abby says that karate-ing is one of her favorite things to do EVER. A.w.e.s.o.m.e.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: This lollipop tastes great! Just like medicine!!

?!
~~~~~~~~~

We are learning about the Vikings this week. Today, we learned that in addition to other less-than-admirable activities (like raiding and killing), the Vikings were explorers...

Abby (excited!!): WOW!! Mom, those people were explorers...just like DORA!!!

~~~~~~~~~

Amazing Grace [Abby's rendition]
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
that saved a wrench like meeeeeee...

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom, if I can't be a dentist when I grow up, I'd like to be an archaeologist who finds things in Play-Doh!

~~~~~~~~~

Me: Abby, watch out for that...
Abby: Mommmm, you don't need to say that. I can see in the dark, because I've got green eyes.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby (showing me her drawing): I drew a girl. She's sad, see the tears? *points to lines coming down out of her eyes*
Me: Why is she sad [dangerous question to ask a 4 year old with an imagination]?
Abby: Because her dress is too short. She really wanted a longer one that's more modest.
Me: And what are these? (curly-q things coming out of the dress where arms should be)
Abby: *rolls eyes* Those are boingy things on her dress, mom.

Oh. Right.

"Guessing About Artwork" would be a good course to offer people before they become the parents of preschoolers.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Hannah, it's your job now to learn to obey Mom, like it's your job!

~~~~~~~~~

As soon as the snow started this afternoon, Abby started dancing around the house, yelling "YAAAAAY! SNOWWWWW! I'm SO excited! Where are our snowpants? That means CHRISTMAS!!!....Please, Mom, can we make ornaments for the Christmas tree?"

...so...we spent part of the afternoon making ornaments for the Christmas tree. How could I refuse? I tried to tell her we don't actually put the tree out until after Thanksgiving, but I'm pretty sure she's going to ask every day from now until December 24th if Christmas is tomorrow. ♥

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth (gazing excitedly out the window): Wow, Mom, looks like a man should get out there and start shoveling! There's lots of work to do out there!! :P

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth's Sunday School teacher shared a story with Will & I this evening:
Mrs. R: [explaining the story of the apostle Peter in prison, and the people praying for him, and then the jail doors open all by themselves]
Elizabeth: ...wow, that happens to us at the grocery store!
[and two boys in her class politely explain to Elizabeth that it's not *quite* the same thing!]

~~~~~~~~~

At the library this afternoon, Abs was putting together a good-sized Winnie-the-Pooh puzzle all by herself. And the celebratory phrase she -shouted- when she was done?:

MOM!! I did the big Pooh, all by myself!!!

...awesome. Mom. moment.

~~~~~~~~~

Talking about feelings this week. The feeling being discussed: Anger

Me: Anger is not always bad. God gave us the ability to feel angry, and when people do wrong things, it can make us feel angry. It's how we respond when we are feeling angry that is important...
Abby: Right. Like, when big people take lots of other people's money, and then they still want to be more rich anyways? That is a wrong thing. That would make me feel angry.

...true story.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: *drumming on the table with markers, singing softly to herself*
Elizabeth: sing louder, Abby! And whatever song you're singing, make sure you throw in a "HALLELUJAH!!" or two at the end of it!!

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth: Mom, I don't want to waste my life.
(aaawww.)
Abby: Yeah! And I....don't want to waste....ummmm....your MOM!!!!

?! Pretty sure it's a little too early for 'your mom' statements.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: I'm pretty sure Hannah is really Tron, disguised as a Hannah. *turning to Hannah* ...aren't you? You're just a robot dressed up like a girl! I knew it!

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom...what do they need to make chocolate bunnies?
Me: What do you think they need?
Abby: (cautiously) ...chocolate...and (getting sad) ...bunnies.

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth: When a big person starts talking in nonsense, it usually means that they're over-privileged.
Abby: Oh, I thought that being privileged meant you felt loved.

...this conversation happened whilst playing Littlest Pet Shop, between the ferret and the poodle - thanks Hannah :)

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: "Mom? You remind me of Supergirl."

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Run! Hide! Fleeeeeeeee....to the Doughnut Shield!!
Elizabeth: Yeah, hide from the donuts!! QUICK!! Get in the Doughnut Shield!!!

...?!
~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom, what does 'trendy' mean?
Me: Something that a lot of people like or do.
Abby: Oh. Like women not dressing modestly? Or watching scary and mean movies that don't honor God?
Me: ...

~~~~~~~~~

[watching an animated movie about Christmas]
Abby: You know, Mom, the Bible doesn't say there were just three wisemen. There could have been four, or five...or ten. We don't really know.

~~~~~~~~~~

[during tub time]
Elizabeth: Whale....whale, where are you? Say something!
Abby: EEEEEEEEEEAAAOOOOWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWOOOOOOAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEE!!
Elizabeth: (silence)
Abby: Oh. Sorry. That's just what I sound like when I'm sick. Let me show you my sounds when I'm regular: EEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Is that better to understand?

~~~~~~~~~

One of the questions for science today was "What would happen if all of the ice in the world melted?" [We're learning about greenhouse gases/global warming/being good stewards of the earth/etc]

Elizabeth's immediate response: It wouldn't happen. My God keeps all His promises. He'll never flood the earth again.

:)

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: 1 like one of...something, 2 like two thumbs, 3 like three little pigs, 4 like...(continues)...7 like the seven dorks, 8 like...
Me: the seven what?
Abby: Dorks. The little men who are in Snow White...7 dorks.

~~~~~~~~~

(Overheard while E&A were playing)
Abby: Oh, that's such a pity!....You know, I don't even know what that means!

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom, some strangers are really space aliens.
Me: How do you know that?
Abby: Welllll...regular people don't know what space aliens look like, so they just call them strangers.

~~~~~~~~~

Science today: learning about different types of animals....
Me: Birds have feathers, but not all of them can fly. Do you remember which birds can't fly?
E: Ostriches...emus...penguins...
A: Uh, Mom...the dead ones.
Me: ...right.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom, I am so excited to be learning how to write, because now I can help make the grocery list with you!
♥ Awwww.

~~~~~~~~~

Our memory verse this week:
Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking lies. [Psalm 34:13]

Abby's attempt:
Keep your lungs from evil and your lips from speaking lies!

Close, Abby...so close.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: It makes me sad that people don't really believe that God keeps all His promises. He does. He has to. They must spend a lot of time being scared of things.

~~~~~~~~~

[Talking about how to show love to others]
Me: What are some things we should do to show other people we love them?
Abby: Welllllll...if some people didn't have food, we can give them all of ours. And if some people didn't have clothes, we can give them our clothes. And if even some other people don't have houses, they can come live with us forever until they have a house.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
...and in other news today, A & E decided that calling math work "problems" was so silly, since they aren't really a problem at all. :D

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth: Mom, I know why you need to vacuum so much. There must be lots of little tiny bugs in the rug that push up all the dirt and mess after every time you vacuum. Because all that dirt keeps showing up again!

...must be.... :P

~~~~~~~~~

My mom: Aren't you excited that in just a few days it's....
Abby: Your birthday!!!!!

[My mom's birthday is, indeed in a couple of days - but the answer I was expecting was 'Christmas' ♥ Dear Abby, I'm pretty sure you made Grammy's day today]

~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday, E&A decided on their own that they wanted to use some of their birthday money to buy a gift for each other for Christmas ♥ Today, they pooled the rest of their birthday money that was left and asked if we could go shopping for (someone who shall remain nameless but whose birthday is tomorrow), and get Daddy a Christmas present too. *melt*

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth: I think when I'm all done being a ballerina, I want to be a missionary. To India. And I'll have to take a bike because I can't drive.



~~~~~~~~~

[Learning about pre-revolution France this week. Today: Louis XIV, the Palace of Versailles, and the ridiculous fashion/feasts/etc]
Abby: Wait. These rich people had all that food but didn't want to share it? If I had lots of monies, like 11 dollars, and I knew 11 people, I'd give them each 1 money and they could all come to my house to share my food.
Elizabeth: Yeah. I'd share 7 monies, too, if I had them. And that's (pointing to Versailles) a too-big building for a house. I'd let lots of people come live in my house.

~~~~~~~~~

...and it's not all seriousness at our house ♥
[overheard during playtime]
Abby: I'm making up a lullaby!
Elizabeth: What's that?
Abby: It's something that has a 'screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech' sound.
Elizabeth: Oh wow! I'm cooking a jumbo!
Abby: Huh?
Elizabeth: That's just another way of saying 'pizza'.

...some things you've learned about the Hunters? Lisha can't sing and we make pizzas that are way too large.

~~~~~~~~~

[Dealing with Elizabeth lying to me]
Me: What are some verses that have to do with lying?
Elizabeth: "You shall not lie. and lying lips are an abomination to the Lord..."
Abby (eavesdropping from around the corner) pssst. Hey Elizabeth, you forgot "keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies! Psalm 34:13"!!

...oh, Abby. So helpful to your sister, especially when she's in trouble.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Who is the Most Alive man in the whole world?
Elizabeth: oooh, I know! Jesus!!

~~~~~~~~~

(making up songs this evening after dinner...)
Elizabeth [in a loud, booming voice]: ....the Holy Spirit...He will give you...COURAGE!!...and the strength....to dooooooooooooo....what you need to do!!!
Abby [high-pitched]: and the Holyyyyyyyy Spiriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit gives to everyoneeeeeeee a song....and they need to sing it the way He gives it toooooooooooooo themmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Sometimes, the Lord gives you all the reminders and encouragement you need straight from the mouths of your own kids. ♥

~~~~~~~~~

[learning about the Gold Rush of the 1840's/50's]
Elizabeth: Mom, I think the best way to get money is to get it slowly, and share what's extra with people. Getting a lot of money fast...can make you greedy.

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth's pick for a verse this morning:
Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. [Matthew 7:12]

Abby's pick:
Keep your tongue from evil,
and your lips from speaking deceit.
[Psalm 34:13]

~~~~~~~~~

Church at home today, since we are all feeling yucky. And Abby still manages to make us laugh:

Will: 1 Samuel 16:7 says that though man looks at the outward appearance, the Lord looks at.......
Abby: ...the woman.
Will: ...good guess. But, no.
Elizabeth: [pointing to her heart] No, Abby, he looks at this. What's this?
Abby: uh, your chest.
Elizabeth: ooooh, Abbyyyyyy!

Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. [1 Samuel 16:7] ♥

~~~~~~~~~

Me: When I come in the living room in a couple of minutes, I would like it to be clean!
Abby [shouting]: Well, Mom...I'd just stay in the kitchen a little longer till we're done if I were you, then!

~~~~~~~~~

Abby (to Will): I'm going to give you an APPENDECTOMY!!
Me: What's an appendectomy, Abs?
Abby: You tell me.
Me: No, you're the surgeon. You tell me.
Abby: It's when I put...uh....THIS (holds up plastic kitty toy) into Daddy's BELLY BUTTON!
Elizabeth (to Will): ...and you have a moldy belly button!

You know...just some pre-dinnertime surgery at the Hunter home. With Dr. Abby and her OR nurse, Elizabeth.

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth: Mom, the toothpaste is runny!
Me: Did you put water in the tube of toothpaste? (common occurance in our house)
Abby: Mom, I have something to tell you, and it's NOT a lie. I mean, really. OK. It happened when Elizabeth took off the cap and *insert swishing noises* under the faucet.
Me: Elizabeth, did you do that?
Elizabeth: yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh, but...it was an accident...

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth (singing, loudly): Just a handful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go downnnnn, the...
Abby: ...uh, Elizabeth, it's SUPPOSED to be "spoonful".
Elizabeth: Maybe we should make it a cupful! Just a cupful of sugar helps the medicine go down! The medicine go downnnn.... (trailing off as she leaves the room)

...I like the new version.

~~~~~~~~~

[Abby & Elizabeth upstairs playing. Abby starts wailing.]
Me: Girls, what's up?
Elizabeth: Abby was pulling on the back of my dress, and I didn't want her to...then I might have ACCIDENTALLY kicked her...in the lip. But it's okay, Mom! [Abby still wailing in the background] - I said I was sorry! It's all okay now!

~~~~~~~~~

[overheard during playtime]
Abby: ...and if you don't obey my rules, I'm going to send you ALL home without your kids. And then I'm going to send them home later WITHOUT even making them be CAREFUL! BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!
Elizabeth: Well, then, we can play lots of video games! Whoooooo! Awesommmmmmme! *cue random song about how awesome video games are*

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: I'm going to make Mrs. Potato to be an excellent woman like the Bible says.
Me: Oh? How so?
Abby: She's going to have the strong set of arms!
♥ ♥ ♥

[(The wife of valor) girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Proverbs 31:17]

~~~~~~~~~

[going over the full armor of God -Ephesians 6]
Me: First, put on the helmet of salvation. What's salvation?
A: Jesus!!!
Me: Then we put on the breastplate of righteousness - what's that?
A: When you're so happy just loving God.
Me: Then comes the belt of truth. What's truth?
E: When you don't tell lies - you're always honest.
Me: ...then the shoes of peace. What's peace?
A: That's when you don't


have any anger in your heart.
Me: The shield of faith is next. What is faith?
E: Oh! The evidence of things hoped for...
A: ...and the evidence of things unseen!!
Me: And last is the sword of the Spirit, which is...
A: the Word of God.
E: that's the Bible.
A: ...so the Bible's like a SWORD!!! We fight EVIL!!!
Me: And what is evil?
E: Having idols. Disobedience....
A: ...and lying.

So. Cool.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Let me read you this. Verse 20: Honor your mother by doing what she says. Honor your dad by obeying him. If you don't, there will be disappointment. That's what this verse is saying here.
Elizabeth: Ok. And let me read you this. Psalm 1: Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, but he stands in the congregation of the righteous!
Abby: ...Mom! Where's chapter 3 in this book?! I can't find it!

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: When we die, there's no more time to learn the firm foundations [about Jesus]. And that means some people are going to miss out. And that also means...wait...are we going to have to potty in Heaven?

~~~~~~~~~

a song, by Elizabeth (no particular tune)...
when Jesus died
they buried Him
but we don't know where
but then...He came back to life
because He loves the world so so much!!
and lots of people saw Him
like they did when He was our newborn King
He is our precious King...
joy to the WORLDDDDDDDD
the Lord has come!!!

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom, I'm pretty sure the word "expensive" is just another way of saying "Awww, shoot!!" ...wait...is it appropriate for me to use the word *drops voice to whisper* ...expensive?

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: In the missionary story we read today, the family read the only Bible they owned SO MUCH that it FELL APART! But because they read it so much, they got to know who God is! And so having a falling-apart Bible is a good idea.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom, I'm pretty sure the commandment says it this way: 'Thou shalt not lie. about coloring on the walls.' Like, in case I, say, colored all over the walls in the living room and then told you Elizabeth actually did it...that would be lying. I'd be telling a lie.

I think it's time to go inspect the walls in the living room...

~~~~~~~~~

*having some gummy bears as a treat*
Abby: You know, they really should make more kinds of gummy animals. Like gummy cats, gummy horses, gummy donkeys, gummy sheeps, gummy dogs, gummy mouses...it's really all about mixing it up. The different kinds of gum, the different kinds of flavors in the gum, and they should really use more than just worms and bears. Also, the yellow ones taste like lemon because they must use lemon flavors.
~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom. If 4 + 1 = 5, and 5 + 1 = 6, and 8 + 1 = 9, then I'll bet 10 + 1 = 11!!! It's the next number up! Oh, and 4 + 1 is the same as 1 + 4 - they're both 5!

:) :) :)

~~~~~~~~~
Abby: You've been drinking so much coffee lately that you're starting to smell like a Dunkin' Donuts!!! PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Me: *put down that third cup I was planning on drinking. Had a glass of water instead.*
~~~~~~~

*wearing their winter jackets with faux-fur lined hoods:
Abby: Oh, Elizabeth, you look lovely...just like an Expresskimo!!!! You know, the ones...
Elizabeth: ...who live in the igloo ice houses?! Yeah! They wear fuzzy hoods too, just like me!

~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth (handing me her math paper): And, um, Mom, I didn't even really try. I just filled in all the boxes with numbers, so I went ahead and circled all the ones that were wrong like you do.

:-O

~~~~~~~~~

S I X spells 6. So, why doesn't F I V spell 5? It's not like you can even hear the E on the end of the word anyway. And 9, too. It should be N I N. And also T H R E, you don't need an extra E on the end of the word three. Oh, wow Mom - that metal thing (on the clipboard) is so shiny!

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: So, Mom, you're going to go to Bible study this morning and leave Hannah here with Daddy so she doesn't disgruntle the crowds of little children there?

~~~~~~~~~

*playing "Librarian"*
A (a mom): Ooooh, I LOVE this book! I think I'll take it home for my baby to read.
E (librarian): Um, miss? I'm sorry. The library is closed now.
A (blatantly ignoring her): Oh, and this one is just wonderful!
E: Do you see the closed sign? We're closed. It's a bummer, but you'll just have to come back tomorrow.
A: Yes. I saw the closed sign, and I flipped it over, so now, it says you're open! And I just walked right in.

...of course. I wish that worked in real life.

~~~~~~~~~

(yesterday)
Me (glancing at the laptop), to Will: Oh, it looks like someone wrote on your Wall?
Will: I can't tell. I don't have my glasses on.
Abby (squinting over in the general direction of the computer): Yeah, it does look like someone scribbled on the wall with crayons. Hmmm. (indeed, there is crayon on the wall there).
Will: Lish, you need to be careful with your choice of words...

~~~~~~~~~

We learned a little about WWI today.
Abby: When wars happen, and people have friends who die there, it must make them feel so sad inside.
Elizabeth: I don't think that war is good. (Pointing the to 'trench warfare' illustration) Why can't the soldiers from each side just get out of the ditch, walk over and talk to each other? Then they wouldn't have to use poison gases or guns, and kill each other

And soon after, the girls made a set of flags and started marching around the house, waving the flags and singing. I asked them what they were doing, and Abby said they're 'doing Veteran's Day, like when the soldiers come to the commons and carry the big flags and remember the mens who went away to fight but then came back.'

Home education is a lot of work. But oh, is it worth it for the deep conversations and for the love of learning that is being fostered here ♥ I am thankful that God equips me daily with grace and patience to learn alongside the girls!
~~~~~~~~~
Abby: Mom! I'm making a grocery list for you for when you go grocery shopping next time. I need to know how to spell: waffles, bacon, sausage, chicken nuggets, and water.

~~~~~~~~~

Best gift of the morning:
E: "Mom, can I pray for breakfast?"
sure!
"Dear God, please bless this breakfast to our bodies, and please help us to be healthy and strong today! I ask in Jesus' name, Amen!"

Very few things sound sweeter than the prayers of a child! ♥

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom. Oxygen & carbon dioxide are both a gas.
Me: Yes, they are...
Abby: But the stuff you put in a car is called gas too.
Me: Yep.
Abby: So it's a liquid that's called gas but it's not actually a gas.
Me: Well, the word "gas" for the stuff that goes in a car is a short form of the word gasoline.
Abby: That doesn't make sense. It's a liquid. Not gas. *irritated grumpy noise*

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Can you open this bag for me?
Me: Sure, bring it over here.
Abby (puzzled look): I'll get the scissors first. I'm pretty sure that your fingers aren't sharp enough to cut it open!

:P

~~~~~~~~~

[Learning about sight]
Me: What can we see?
Abby: Only everything we don't see if we don't have eyes.

Technically correct, but not quite what I was hoping for... :P

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: I want to know more about the ceps.
Me: ...the ceps?
Abby (flexing her arms): Yeah...the bi-ceps and the tri-ceps.
(Can you guess what our current science unit is?)

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mom. Shorts: they're like short-sleeved shirts for your legs! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

~~~~~~~~~

After reading about King Hezekiah during Bible time this morning...
Abby: Some people in Israel thought that God is bad but that idolatry and worshiping things is good. They were getting it all mixed up.
Elizabeth: Yeah. I think it makes God sad when good and bad get messed up and backwards.

~~~~~~~~~

Abby: Mommy, Emma (her baby) doesn't like to be encouraged. That's when you see someone doing something that's not right, and you tell them so nicely "I don't think you should be doing that!" and she just always says *switches to high-pitched voice* "Well, Mom, I'm just going to go ahead and do it anyway 'cause I don't like when you encourage me like that!"

~~~~~~~~~

Me: What's today?
[responding simultaneously)
Abby: Grampy's birthday! YAY!
Elizabeth: The last day I'll ever be 5!!


Whew! The next couple days are pretty special ones ♥

~~~~~~~~~

[watch for 4/2012 - the present to be posted soon!]

No comments:

Post a Comment