4.29.2012

When I don't measure up to much

image credit
When I don't fit in,
and I don't feel like I belong anywhere,
when I don't measure up to much in this life,
oh, I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ!
['Forgiven', Sanctus Real]

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. [Ephesians 2:10]

For I know the thoughts I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, not of evil... [Jeremiah 29:11]

I will praise thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. [Psalm 139:14]


I am so grateful this morning that though I let my loved ones down on a regular basis, I do not have to 'measure up' to worship and love and follow the Lord. And that there is no checklist for what I need to accomplish for God for Him to continually pour out His love and mercy on me. Christ has taken all of the punishment and wrath that was due to me through His death on the cross - and I am free because of that to bask in the love and care of my God even in the midst of disappointing those around me.

Apart from the solid foundation of His grace and love, I would most certainly be a wreck through this season of life - I am reminded daily that I do not measure up to the standards of a good wife or mom or keeper of the home. So He bids me to come to Him and ask which areas I need to work on, and then gives the wisdom and grace and the change of heart to work on them. And it's easy to get overwhelmed, because the list is so long!, but He only asks for a bit at a time. And as I carry on through my day in prayer, He is faithful to encourage me with His Word and through dear friends and my dear daughters that He sees a difference. Where others don't, or won't, or can't see a change, He knows what's different and I know that the thoughts He thinks toward me are loving ones.

I never have to measure up to perfection in the eyes of the Lord. He desires that I try all that He asks of me with excellence, but not perfection. His love is unconditional toward me because I have placed my trust in Jesus and what His death accomplished, not because of what I can accomplish for Him! What a sweet relief to my weary heart! That I can go to church this morning and worship Him, with my failures and flaws, and trust that He will continue the good work He started in me and carry it through to completion throughout the rest of my life. That He will not abandon me or withhold His love from me when I don't meet His expectations.

When I don't measure up to much in this life,
oh, I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ!!


Not measuring up to man's standards,
but still infinitely loved by the Lord,
for His glory!
~Lisha

I may be sharing this post with these lovely Link-up parties!
Please share, pin, or comment if this has been a blessing or encouragement to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment