4.28.2010

the big stuff.

I have had a hectic last couple of weeks. Not busy, like having a lot of places to be hectic, but emotionally hectic. If you've been on facebook lately, I don't really need to go over the hecticness (if that's not a word, I'll take credit for making it up). If you haven't been on facebook lately...you really should check facebook more often. (Just kidding!) 

When circumstances are rough, and I find that I'm getting all wrapped up in the details of everything and I'm overworried or anxious, the Lord has a subtle way of reminding me of what's important. 

I was chatting with a friend of mine on Monday evening and we were talking about different school subjects. The subject of math came up [are you surprised, though?], and we were talking about how she understands the "big stuff" - the concepts - but it's the little stuff like basic computation that tends to trip her up. 

I joked that maybe she should write that on her tests "Dear Teacher, I get the big stuff, but it's the little stuff that messes me up!". And we had a good laugh. 




She went home, and as I was putting the girls to bed, I was thinking about big stuff and little stuff and how I feel like sometimes, when the Lord sends me trials, I should write on them: 

"Dear Lord, I get the big stuff, but it's the little stuff that messes me up!" 

God is sovereign. God loves me. God works all things together for my good because I love Him. God's promises never fail. God is amazing and He is the victorious God of the impossible. I was born a wretched sinner, and Jesus Christ died for my sin. That's the big stuff. 

I never forget those facts. When they told us they couldn't find our baby's heartbeat, I repeated those truths over and over again in my mind. I praised God for them, and for His love. I trust Him! When Elizabeth was having all that trouble over the last few weeks, I told her (and myself!) over and over again that God loves her, and that everything that He does is for a good reason. As Will and I have encountered conflict in our relationship, we hold fast to the truth that God is sovereign and can change hearts. 

I get the big stuff. 

If I am content to embrace and understand the big truths, why is it that I am not content to leave all of the details to Him, too? Worrying about the details leaves me unfocused. It leaves me tired and weary. It leaves me grumpy, and slightly to very unpleasant to be around. It can leave me doubtful. It makes me more worried about what's going to happen to me and less concerned about what God is doing in my life for His glory. 

I don't want the little stuff to get in the way of the big stuff. Worrying about the little stuff can suck the joy out of daily life. I want to remain focused with my heart and my mind on the bigger picture!!! And Jesus Christ, my Lord and my God, is the bigger picture! 

My encouragement to you tonight is this: If you know Jesus Christ, keep focused on Him. He is the big stuff in life. He is what makes life worth living. Give the little stuff to Him and don't let yourself get sidetracked! If you have never made Jesus Christ a priority in life - if you've never gotten to know Him - you are missing out on the big stuff altogether! He has an abundant life to offer you, beyond what you can find from any material goods or people (who will sometimes let you down!). You may find that your life revolves around the little stuff that you have thought was the big stuff. Let go of the little stuff and hold fast to Jesus!


For His glory!
~Lisha :)

I might be sharing this post over at any one of these encouraging Link-up parties!

[If this post has encouraged, blessed, or inspired you, please comment or share it with a friend!]

No comments:

Post a Comment