7.29.2013

Even More Kitchen Creativity...

It's been about three weeks since I've been able to go full-on grocery shopping. I've been using anything and everything that's in my cupboards (...except the few things I found that had obviously run the course of their shelf lives). I've had a lot of fun rising to the challenge every evening!

Tonight, this is what I had on hand:
6 fresh eggs
4 medium-sized baking potatoes
various seasonings (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, paprika, etc)
shredded cheese
about 1 cup cottage cheese
sugar
the last lemon in the fruit drawer
sprinkles

Add about 35 minutes, et...voila! Dinner.

Scrambled eggs with Oven Roasted Potato Chips
Shredded Cheese (optional - my girls don't care for it)

Preheat the oven to 450F. Clean potatoes, and slice them using a mandoline (I like my Pampered Chef one! One of the most useful kitchen gifts I ever received!) very thinly. Immediately put the slices in a big bowl of icy water to keep them from turning black (from the starch). On a kitchen towel, lay out a handful of the slices to drain some of the water off. On a cookie sheet, put one layer of potatoes flat (do not overlap!); sprinkle with desired seasonings (you could probably drizzle them with oil first, but I didn't have any in the house!). Bake for 15-20 minutes(ish), checking occasionally till they are the desired crispness. I had to do four batches (2 cookie sheets at a time, twice.) It took about 35 minutes for them all to cook.

Laying out the potato slices to dry a little after soaking them in an ice bath.
This is just before they went onto baking sheets and into the oven!


Meanwhile, make scrambled eggs. Plate everything up, top with cheese if you wish, and dinner is served! My girls LOVED the potatoes done this way - "like potato chips, only tastier!"

This may be a new family favorite! Scrambled eggs & roasted potato chips!

And for dessert, a variation on cottage cheese "ice cream" with sprinkles:
Put cottage cheese, sweetener of choice (to taste), and the juice of 1/2 a lemon into a food processor. Blend until it is smooth (it could take a couple of minutes!). Empty into a freezer-safe container (...or just leave it in the processor) and freeze until it's a desired consistency. We prefer it frozen solid! Then when you're ready to serve, add sprinkles (or any other toppings you have on hand!). Enjoy!

Cottage Cheese "Ice Cream" - Lemon-flavored

And last night, we had ground turkey & quinoa with roasted cauliflower:

Preheat the oven to 450F. Spread the cauliflower (I used 16oz of frozen florets) out on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a little oil, salt, pepper, and paprika. Mix well to coat. Bake until the cauliflower looks nice and crispy!

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown ground turkey to your liking. I add garlic, salt, & pepper, along with a little vegetable oil. When it's done browning, add some chopped onion, 1 cup of uncooked quinoa (rinsed and sorted!) and 2 cups of liquid (I used water because that was all I had, but chicken, beef, or veggie brother would be good too). Bring it all to a boil, then let it simmer until the liquid is all absorbed and the quinoa is tender. This dinner was incredible!! My girls said that the roasted cauliflower was "better than French fries!!" WIN.

Ground turkey & quinoa with roasted cauliflower!


Thankful for the chance to create for my family,
for His glory!
~Lisha

This post is featured over at Growing Home, A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, Hope in Every Season, and at Teaching What is Good!

[If this post has blessed, encouraged, or inspired you, please comment or feel free to share with a friend!]

No comments:

Post a Comment